Hello Calgary Acupuncture Enthusiasts!
Sleep is touted as one of the most important aspects of managing your health. A good night’s sleep has been linked with decreased stress, better memory, helps with maintaining a healthy weight, and improves your mood. Lack of sleep can exacerbate these as well as other health problems that you may have. Our bodies need regular deep rest to affect daily repair and rejuvenation and when we don’t get that rest small things can start to pile up and we begin to feel run down.
So how can you get more sleep?
- Do you go to sleep at a regular time? If not, setting a sleep schedule can be the simple solution to getting the zzz’s you need.
- Stay off of your electronics the hour before you go to bed. The lights and stimulation can inhibit our natural sleep cycle.
- Remove distractions from the bedroom. It is my firm opinion that bedrooms are for two things, sleeping and intimacy. No TV, no work, no eating, no phone/tablet/laptop and though some people use reading as a way to fall asleep, if the story is engaging it could also keep you awake for hours.
- Avoid eating before bed, not only does this contribute to unwanted weight gain, but can also have a negative impact on your sleep.
- Take a melatonin supplement an hour or so before you want to fall asleep. Melatonin is produced by your body so there are no harmful effects.
I’ve tried those and still can’t sleep, now what?
If you have been addressing the items above (or others), known as sleep hygiene, and are still having problems either falling or remaining asleep then acupuncture and Chinese medicine are effective and safe for the treatment of insomnia.
In Chinese Medicine there are multiple types of imbalance that can lead to insomnia, it is the job of the acupuncturist to determine what that imbalance is and then work to resolve it using acupuncture(1), herbs and lifestyle changes. Insomnia is a common complaint at my Calgary Acupuncture Clinic though not usually the main reason people come to see me and often better sleep is a “side-effect” of the acupuncture treatment for their primary concern.
If you or someone you know is having problems sleeping, give acupuncture a try and book your acupuncture appointment in Calgary today.
- Spence DW1, Kayumov L, Chen A, Lowe A, Jain U, Katzman MA, Shen J, Perelman B, Shapiro CM.Acupuncture increases nocturnal melatonin secretion and reduces insomnia and anxiety: a preliminary report. J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosci. 2004 Winter;16(1):19-28.